Wednesday, January 9, 2008

One Laptop Per Child Comes To America!!




Article: OLPC America aims to distribute low-cost laptops to needy students in the United States

The reason OLPC had not included the U.S. in its low-cost laptop program was because of the huge difference in need, Negroponte said. In the U.S., people spend $10,000 per year per child in primary education, but in Bangladesh, a developing country, they spend $20. It's a huge difference, and many people in the U.S. can afford more expensive laptop PCs for their kids anyway.

1 comment:

Shazza Nakim said...

I had consider purchasing one of these Notebooks but when I asked if I could choose the country I wanted my purchase to go, I was told that I couldn't. In order to specify a country, I have to purchase a large volume in a special order. I do like the concept and the cause but I wanted to make sure my computer went to Africa.

I also heard that a few companies are going into the same countries with their version of the Notebooks and brokering political favors to sell bulk product and freezing out the charity that started the whole concept.